LANGUAGE TESTER/EXAMINER IN MULTIPLE LANGUAGES (WASHINGTON DC REGION, FULL-TIME)
Language Testers/Examiners will report to the on-site Program Manager.
A language services company headquartered in Fairfax, VA, is seeking Language Testers and Examiners in a variety of languages (80+) to administer language exams and rate students’ proficiency levels in accordance with Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) standards. The ideal candidate holds a Bachelor’s degree, at a minimum, and possesses at least 3 years of experience administering or evaluating language proficiency exams as a certified Tester/Examiner to US government or military personnel. Must be a US Citizen or hold a valid green card with at least one year of legal work authorization
remaining. Candidates must be located within a 50 mile radius of Washington DC or be willing to relocate as this is primarily an on-site position between the core hours of 9 AM – 4 PM Monday-Friday each week.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Language Testers/Examiners will have a role in performing language proficiency exams as
- Serve as a Tester or Examiner (work as a team) for language proficiency examinations,
interacting with the examinee in the tester’s native language or a language in which the tester has near-native proficiency. Proficiency tests may be face-to-face or by telephone or other technology-based medium (such as recorded audio, recorded video, live videoconferencing). The agency’s language proficiency test rates the examinee’s skills in reading and speaking.
- Provide information to Examiner about the examinee’s performance on various parts of the test and about the content of the texts used in the test, and assist with the selection and/or preparation of reading test materials.
- May be requested to conduct end of training language proficiency tests at field schools overseas.
- Lead the creation and testing of new reading kits to be used in face-to-face, telephone or field-testing.
- Lead the production of audio or video materials for use in conjunction with the Language Testing Unit’s testing training.
- Collaborate with the client and others, to lead the reviewing and editing of foreign language and/or English in testing materials.
- Adhere to all copyright guidelines and restrictions and follow US government procedures regarding copyright.
- Adhere to all guidelines and follow all procedures regarding testing material security and safeguarding test score data.
- BA/BS, MA/MS, or Ph.D., or foreign equivalent degree in educational assessment, testing, and measurement fields.
- Expert knowledge and practical understanding of ILR proficiency levels.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience conducting proficiency-based language speaking and reading tests (i.e., DLPT, ACTFL OPI, etc.) in one or more foreign languages tested at FSI preferred.
- Foreign Language Proficiency: must be educated native or near-native speakers of the
language (preferably Level 4/4 or higher in speaking and reading on the ILR proficiency scale).
- English Proficiency: English proficiency of Level 3/3 or higher (ILR scale) in speaking and reading.
- Cultural Background: Candidates must possess the cultural background of the specific
country or geographical region required by submitting proof of being raised or educated in said country, by living in a cultural enclave or heritage community in another country, or by demonstrating through work experience or academic preparation a deep understanding of the region.
- Follow all policies of the US government.
- Follow the guidance provided in the client’s Language Testing Unit manual.
- Follow all administrative processes and procedures as detailed in the SLS Guide to FSI Administrative Procedures.
- Work in a harmonious and professional manner with colleagues who represent cultures from around the world.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience designing and/or selecting testing materials preferred.
- Experience with online tools/systems used to administer language proficiency exams a plus.
Language Testers/Examiners must be available to work on-site in Arlington, VA, during the core hours of 0900 and 1530 ET, regardless of schedule variations.
Location: Arlington, VA with some travel required
Pay: This position is a full-time opportunity with an excellent compensation and benefits package. Pay is based on experience and will be discussed during the screening process.